A month or two ago, it was my company’s Employee Appreciation week. They honestly never spend a lot on us (last year’s example: a whole chocolate bar), but this year they did a better job in at least putting more thought into it. One of the items was a cell phone clip that attaches a mini-wide angle lens and a macro lens.
On the last day we each got a small coloring book with a box of pencil crayons with a small card with the following 5 Reasons to Take Time to Color:
1. Creative Meditation. The concentration required to color intricate patterns can act as a form of meditation by shifting your attention away from stressful thoughts.
2. Build Mental Strength. Coloring utilizes areas of the brain that enhance concentration, problem solving and organizational skills.
3. Enhance Positive Thinking. Coloring may actually help you replace patterns of negative thinking with more positive ones.
4. Stay Calm. Coloring calms the part of your brain that controls our flight-or-fight response, which helps reduce anxiety.
5. Relax and Have Fun. When is the last time you sat down and did something just for the fun of it?
What kinds of things do you do to relax/calm yourself from the stresses of a busy workplace?